About Me

Castle Rock, CO
Who I am depends on who you ask. I can be a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a teacher, but usually, most people call me a friend.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Feeling sheepish

I really thought that teaching would just go my way... I would get to be at the school I wanted, when I wanted, positions would be available, and I would make it work around my life. Last night, I was at a basketball game. I was there ALL day, and saw several administrators come and go. I had the opportunity to talk to the assistant principal first, he remembered his LONG commutes in the early days too. I heard of his different experiences in different districts, and how he weaved his way to where he was today.

I heard the same stories from the principal, and from teachers who I trust. People who are my friends, whom I hope to work with. We all had common grounds, the quiet time we come to appreciate while decompressing from the long journey between school and home.

My eyes are wide open now. As I turned the car around and headed back to school. Wondering how bad it was going to be. One of my poms had run away. Gone from school, gone from my supervision, out on the street. When you hear the fear in a father's voice, you take it personally. When I carefully, head down, walked in to tell the principal, I didn't quite expect the response I would receive. I thought I would lose my job, right there, on the spot. I thought of the million things that could happen to my athlete. What did I see?

My principal looked at me, and said, "So? Tell the dad if she is still gone on Monday to set up a meeting with me, and go home to your family." I did my part anyway, I went and told the officer, I talked to her dad, I called my girls, and then I stayed up until 1:30 in the morning, when I received a text saying she was home. The principal, the security guard at school, and the school resource officer were all correct, she did make her own choices, choices that had nothing to do with me. I did eat a Big Mac and some fries, followed by some popcorn. More food than I have consumed in days. I knew that without money, transportation or a cell phone, she would come home eventually.

Life is about choices. I chose to follow the serenity prayer.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: