Well, I know that many of you have been waiting for the stories from my first week of school; let's just say, they don't disappoint.
Day one: Lots of meetings...Luckily Rich was there to ease the burden of sitting through the orientation. I wish I could say everything that had been discussed, but I kind of don't remember it all. After our morning meeting, we had to report to our buildings, check out our classrooms, etc. There was one other guy hired in my same department, and a few others throughout the school.
The only big shocker from day one was stepping into my classroom for the first time. The room was shaped like a trapezoid, she had the computers in some sort of crazy spiral, and crap was everywhere! Lots of work, seriously, lots!
I went to the bookkeeper to grab my keys. While there, someone noticed my name, and asked if my husband worked in the district. I said no, but figured I probably was related somehow, and asked who she knew. She said she had worked dispatch for the Aurora Police Department. Right away I knew she meant Ern's brother, so I said, "Oh, you must mean, Big R, he is WAAAAYYYY older than my husband!"
Day two: Let the fun begin...We reported to Rich's school on Tuesday, along with two other new business teachers within the district. Griz starts in using all these crazy voiceovers. Naturally, Rich thinks this is great, and keeps egging him on. All the while, I am thinking, great, I have to hear this every day for the rest of the school year. I am about to kill Rich! So much so that I have to text Shi-town to warn Rich that I am about to knock him out. It was funny (in retrospect ONLY).
Then he begins talking about his Australian adventure while getting his masters degree. The irony comes from the fact that my favorite professor had him in class. He faked being Australian for the entire 18 months of his masters, only to tell the truth in the last night of class. It freaked out our professor to the point that she actually wondered if he was safe to be around. Nice, this is now the guy I am working with. So, when my school is on the news for the crazy dude, yeah, you'll say you knew why. It turns out, he did it all for a bet, and realized that in the end, he would need some letters of recommendation and would have to be truthful, or become Australian! At least Rich thought it was funny.
I have now found out my co-worker is not safe to be around, my other co-worker is fine, as long as she gets out her personal drama first, and I am pretty much going this whole journey alone. I would be lying if I said I didn't cry a little bit.
Day three: Change the way you see things
Once the Griz relaxes, he is actually a pretty decent guy. He doesn't know a whole lot about the courses he will be teaching, nor does he seem all that motivated to figure it out, but, he'll either sink or swim, which doesn't affect my day-to-day at all. Also, when he doesn't have Rich egging him on, he remains in his own persona, 100% of the time.
The shanker is also a pretty great person. Yes, she has some issues, but she has been in the same building for 20 some odd years, so what d'ya expect? She has been helpful beyond words, and I know I can grow to appreciate her.
Bottom Line:
I can't wait to experience this year and all that comes along with it!
Changes
-
Is it seriously October? As of today, I (we) have been married four months!
It's not 70 years like my grandparents will celebrate later this month, but
it ...
11 years ago
1 comment:
Call me this week so I can hear all about your week. Kids start soon...
Post a Comment