She walked into the hair salon, thinking it was a welcomed break from the fast paced life she had been leading for the last few weeks. It's no mistake that while sitting in church on Sunday she silently hoped that someone would realize she needed their prayers. She was run down, tensions were high, it seemed like even her children could sense that change was eminent and time was short. Wrestling with issues from days before, angry for the loss of sleep, the fear of the futures... She knew she had walked through the door, the last chapter had closed only days before as she packed up her desk, turned off the lights, and smiled as she closed the door behind her.
But tonight, it was supposed to be a welcomed break. A typical lunch with her best friend is always a great way to spend an afternoon. It does seem that her children often occupy more time, leaving less time to hang out with her friends. She's been worried about the spicy Latina lately. Things are changing in her world too, and some days, well, life just gets too busy to take the necessary time to say hello. The nights have been shorter; she's sleeping less and less. Change is all around.
Yet, in walks a vaguely familiar face. He could be just another teenager, but to her, she sees a young man, full of opportunity, brimming with a wide open future. He rattles around his keys; they are on a long shoe string which he wears around his neck. He looked on as the stylist rubbed conditioner into her hair, chit chatting about his future. The young man is starting his senior year. He said he didn't feel like he was going into his senior year, he didn't feel different at all. She calmly looked at the young man and began with her series of questions...
Have you taken your ACT or SAT yet?
Umm, yeah, I took them last year.
Have you applied for college yet?
Well, I really don't have to. I am planning on attending ACC for the first two years, that way I can work, and save up money.
The words she hates to hear. He isn't aware of how few students ever actually start college, or finish for that matter. He doesn't see what he will be missing, how much fun he will have, what a wise investment it is to take out money for college. I can't believe it as the words come falling from her mouth. "It will be the BIGGEST mistake of your life." The stylist looks on in awe. I am sure the words stunned them both, and yet, for some reason, her words and her presence resounding through the salon, they stop and listen. She looked at Justin (that's his name, though, in reality, she only knows him as potential) she sat up in her chair, hair wet, face wax marks, and she forgot about everyone around her, except potential.
There are ways to pay for college, there are other 2 year schools, and you have to explore your options. She didn't know how well the Lord was preparing her when she worked for admissions at her university. Time and time and time again though, potential asks for help, and she is there. Watching frightened parents filling out financial aid forms, wondering what their child's future has in store. Then, she gives them a list of the best restaurants where their child will be going to school, and she tells them, after you drop them off at the dorm, go here, and eat this, save your tears for their graduation day. Parents smile, they are calm, they leave her house, but this time, it would seem they have their super hero capes on, ready to take on higher education!
So, what are you interested in?
I play football and I wrestle. Is it really true there are scholarships for people with blue eyes?
Justin, your eyes are brown, but there are places...
That's the moment. It is her favorite time, the moment when a young person stops thinking they can't and realizes, that in this moment, the possibilities are endless. He sat down, he looked her straight in the eyes, and then, he asked to create the plan.
So, she asks him, where do you go to school? Thank you Father for this day, for this moment... It is no accident that she is teaching in his very school, his academy. She has 16 weeks to seed into his future.
So, you can visit me anytime, my classroom is always a safe haven. Sure, I would be happy to talk with your dad. Stop by my desk. I'd love to keep you on track. I will look for you on the field this football season. What do you know; Mr. Fix-It was quite the wrestler himself. I'm so glad you stopped in today. I look forward to your visit in the next month or so. Really? You'll stop by in the first week? Well, I will have to remember to have candy.
She failed to realize that her student is watching her, conditioning treatment in, her mustache and side burns being waxed off, right there in his presence. And here I wondered if she would be self conscious in the moment of truth. Teachers are born to teach, even in the hair salon. In reality, teachers are born to believe! I think I will follow Mr. Potential for a few more years. What if she made an impact on just one life...? I hope that life belongs to Justin. As he walks away, the conversation is no longer about their lives, but instead, about their hopes and desires for the young man's future.
Two days from now, a new world... Suddenly, it doesn't feel quite as scary. Suddenly, it feels like, well, a world of POTENTIAL.
Changes
-
Is it seriously October? As of today, I (we) have been married four months!
It's not 70 years like my grandparents will celebrate later this month, but
it ...
11 years ago
1 comment:
Great story!
Post a Comment